6 Mar 2017

WEEKEND REVIEW MARCH 4

My friend is living near Leverkusen where Bayer, a multinational chemical, pharmaceutical and life sciences company has its headquarthers. My friend's husband had worked there too, that's why they are living there. I didn't know this area at all only Cologne so she showed me around.



First we saw from outside the Morsbroich Castle formerly a Baroque castle, which is now a municipal museum for the exhibition of modern and contemporary art. It also provides the setting for theatrical productions and other cultural events under the title "Morsbroich Summer".



There is also a restaurant inside and when we were there new weds just had their wedding picture taken. A nice background !

Then we went to the "Wacht am Rhein" a very modern restaurant serving typical local German food.



The view over the Rhein is beautiful, unfortunately we had grey and cold weather. It must be very nice in summer.



We had lunch there and a huge beer, but alcohol free, there is an unbelievable choice of alcohol free beer in Germany, which is much better than the sweet sodas. I forgot to take a picture of my meal, it was delicious it was an enormous pancake with bacon and onions.



The next little town was Schlebusch which belongs to Leverkusen. It's a nice old little town and certainly worthwhile to be visited when the sun is shining ! I liked the poster "Real Belgian chips", but  didn't try them I was still full from my pancake.

Unfortunately I must have caught a cold when standing in front of the Dom in Cologne when the strong wind whistled around and didn't feel well at all. I decided to drive home before it got worse. What a pity. But I did well, I had no problems and arrived safely home, where I just fell into my bed !

9 comments:

  1. Shame you caught a cold in such a very interesting city. Even Marilyn Monroe was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gattina - I hope you feel better soon ... but at least you've been and can now make a plan to visit in warmer weather. Interesting about the non-alcoholic beer choices ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its amazing how you can just drive to Germany for the day. (If I have understood your post properly). The big beer is huge. The buildings are lovely. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you bring home some 4711?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to wonder how Marilyn didn't catch a cold!

    Love the photos of the castle grounds. So picturesque.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pictures! Schlebusch looks cozy town and nice to stroll around.
    Sorry you got cold but glad you arrived home safely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you feel better soon. I remember taking a cruise on the Rhine from Bonn to a town called Linz. The scenery was very pretty and we had some sun that day. It was such a long time ago though. Sometimes I feel very old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You saw some lovely sights before getting ill though -- and since you can drive it, you could go back some time again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow...
    --------------
    Thanks for the information you shared, you can hear the song 24k Magic Lyrics whenever you want to relax.
    You can have more great songs at song lyrics
    This is the largest network of top song lyrics available today

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !