15 Jan 2016

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

1. Monday afternoon my friend Chantal came for a visit. Since the New Year Eve she had spent with us I hadn't seen her anymore. After the funerals of her husband her son had returned to Dubai and now she was finally completely alone and she told me that she is so exhausted that she only sleeps ! Now of course there is a lot of administration and insurance papers to be filled in, when a husband or a wife dies it is very complicated in Belgium. She doesn't even have access to her own bank account. It's all blocked the bank had to advance the money she needed. We spent a nice afternoon together while outside as usual it rained.

2. To put a little sunshine at least in our hearts Nicole and I went to the travel agency to book a week in Tunisia at the isle of Djerba. We had got a gift check of 500 € ( $) and of course wanted to spend this money ! The check was valid from April to October. We booked a very nice 4* hotel for May and had only to pay 65 € (70 $) ! A very good bargain !

3. I was busy to prepare a post about the Waterloo Lion site (see post here ) and that took me quite some time to find the old pictures ! I had put the link on Facebook and got a lot of comments from Waterloo inhabitants who hadn't seen the site in this state yet and wrote that a graveyard is more fun !

4. I went shopping our fridge was empty, I just loaded the car and hurried home, it was really disgusting outside ! Far better to stay inside in the warmth.

5. We wanted to celebrate the New Year with some girls of my painting class in the Asiatic restaurant which is so nice in everything, quality, price and decoration.



So we were 6 vintage girls gathered around a round table and had a lot of fun. I think we were quite noisy too, because the other guests wondered why we laughed so much and turned their heads towards our table. Maybe they were just jealous !


more participants at here

and Linking to What happens in your surroundings this week

?





14 comments:

  1. Eine fröhliche Runde! Herzlich P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also have the same problems with bank accounts and other paperwork in SA if a spouse dies. I loved that you booked a trip to Tunisia - lucky you to get 500 Euro gift! Whenever we vintage ladies gather in a public eatery, we always make a loud noise with laughter and everyone talking at once! I'm sure other more staid patrons were jealous of the good time you were having.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gattina - glad you're going to get away - sounds a good deal. The aspect of dying is bad enough, but to have one's bank account inaccessible, even for a while, is a pain too far .. I'd have thought. Good to see you out and about enjoying your time .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course people were jealous ... I'm pretty sure that wherever you go you have more fun than anybody! Your next vacation sounds wonderful. It's a shame how people always have to deal with all that red tape when they are at their most vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I now how special it is to be with your vintaged girlfriends. There were 4 of us, and now only two are up and about. One had been in and out of the hospital for several years with very serious issues and the other, my closest friend for 50 years, is in an extended care facility. It is a heart breaker. Getting older can at times be very sad. This week I posted a postcard I had created back in 1995/6 about the 4 of us. I loved your post and your photo really did put a smile on my face this morning. genie

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha, you made me laugh with 'vintage girls'. well done vintage girls, just laugh and have good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That holiday sounds a real bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your description of vintage girls. I'll have to remember that! So sad for your friend in #1 - hope they can get the paperwork and details taken care of soon. How hard to have lost both husband and son. My heart goes out to her. It's no fun to shop in the rain, especially a cold rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't doubt that some of the other customers wanted to join you. :-) Your holiday sounds grand!
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like everyone is having fun and smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A 4 star holiday for 65 euros? I think I am doing something wrong here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have indeed made a great bargain. I love gift certificates.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great bargain!
    have a wonderful Sunday...

    Noodle and crew

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vintage girls....I really like it!!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !