3 Mar 2017

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE - FIVE ON FRIDAY

1.


Now as usual the week starts with our Scrabble group. This time it was Nicole's turn. Charlie was happy to have so many ladies around who petted him. But then a thunderstorm came and the poor dog got hysterical. He is so afraid ! He found a nice hide away. Suddenly between 10 legs under the table Charlie was in the middle and shook like a leaf ! We all comforted him and when the thunderstorm was over he came out and collapsed on the carpet. Meanwhile Mireille despite her handicap of being half blind won again and had started with a scrabble which meant 50 points. I was the looser for once but that doesn't bother me at all ! We had our laughing session too without paying for it.

2. I had to do some shopping for my trip to Cologne not exactly the town but in a small village outside. I bought some Belgian specialities for my friend. She was alone her husband was in wintersport with friends.

3. My suitcase was quickly packed, but then a disaster happened, our micro wave had troubles ! For once Mr. G. panicked because I went away and how should he heat up his meals ? We decided that we had to buy a new one. The next morning my eyes not yet open he asked me if I had found a suitable model. I pushed aside my murderous wish to strangle him, and said yes. I had to print out the model and then he hurried away to buy that thing. This was the first time in 48 years of marriage that Mr. G. bought a household appliance ! I have to note down the date.

4. The microwave problem solved, he still uses the old one because it still heats up because he has to study the notice, I loaded my car for my trip to Cologne and in pouring rain drove away. The whole way was terrible sometimes I could hardly see, fortunately there was not a lot of traffic on the highway and 3 hours later with a stop to have a coffee and something to eat I arrived.



The house from the outside looks small but is huge inside It has 8 bedrooms, a snug, a living room, and 3 bathrooms and a sauna. I had a nice room with a Korean bed and ensuite. As always we had a lot to chat, only this time it wasn't me but her, she speaks like a waterfall and jumps from one theme to the other. It's fun.

5. The weather got even worse, there was a very strong wind and that made the temperature feeling very cold. But we didn't want to sit inside the whole day so we went to Cologne.








I know Cologne quite well, at least the city center, but it had changed so much that I didn't recognize anything. So many new glass boxes like in all big cities.

We had lunch in a typical brewery and ate a typical plate from Cologne



This was big green beans in a sauce, with bacon and boiled potatoes. It was delicious.

I was  surprised about the choice of alcohol free beer, there were so many brand marks nearly like the real beer. I bought 20 bottles for us, as we don't drink any alcohol.

We returned home because it started to rain and we were frozen. But still it had been a nice day.

In the evening we watched crime story in the snug and had a beer !






more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.


more participants here at FIVE ON FRIDAY

21 comments:


  1. How wonderful to see your photos of Cologne. I remember the cathedral well, and the other photo must be the railway station. It was so fine and sunny when we were there, and a great party atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see Cologne Cathedral. Your lunch looks very tasty. The bacon looks especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful time away! Poor Charlie and the thunderstorm. My cat is a little like that. Storms frighten him and sometimes he just looks at me like it's my fault!

    Thanks for taking us around Cologne and for sharing your Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear what a nuisance the weather was rainy but never mind I'm sure you had a great time anyway, I haven't been to Cologne for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shame about the weather in Cologne but when you have so much to chat about with a friend it doesn't really matter. On Tuesday I am off to San Francisco to meet up with my Canadian friend for a few days. Then I will be taking a tour around West USA before spending a few days on my own in LA. I am hoping to see some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I'm glad the microwave problem was solved without anyone getting strangled :-)
    Dishes at lunch in Cologne look so yummy! Glad you are having good time there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you resisted the urge to commit murder lol. I hope your hubby coped while you are away. Cologne is a lovely city.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Charlie! Thunderstorms and Fireworks night are not fun times for animals, lucky he had such good people to keep him company :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel so sorry for Charlie and his fear of thunderstorms. We give Eddy a few drops of Rescue (a natural remedy ) which calms her quite a bit. Perhaps Nicole could find something similar in your country. Good on Mr G for buying his first household appliance in 48 years of marriage. (we are married 45 years tomorrow) How super to see your friend and catch up with all the years past. I hope you have a safe trip home. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Charlie. When we had a dog, she was terrified at storms, too. Glad you were safe on your trip driving in the bad weather and got to spend some times with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had a busy time before you were able to get away but it looks like you had a lovely time once you arrived in Cologne.
    Dogs hate the thunder, don't they?

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your trip to Cologne with us. I'm glad you had a good time with your friend there, in spite of the bad weather.
    Playing Scrabble with friends and laughing together is most wonderful!
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Gattina - glad the microwave problem was solved! Enjoy Cologne - the house looks amazing ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was funny about your husband and the microwave! It's been many years since I've been to Cologne, I know I wouldn't recognize it.
    Our cat use to be terrified of thunderstorms, but lately they don't seem to bother her as much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The last time I bought a microwave, I bought the cheapest and smallest one there was. In and out in under three minutes! I only use it to heat up my food, so don't need all those fancy things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed your Five, especially Number 3! I know well that murderous wish to murder a husband and that really was a red letter day. You made me laugh, thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Scrabble. It's so much fun. I visited Cologne in 1985. I wonder if it has changed, although, to be honest, I don't remember much except for the cathedral. It's so nice to live on mainland Europe, drive for 3 hours and end up in a different country. I would love that a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I see you went for longer than one day. The house looks a comfortable place. Bad luck about the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum I could eat that meal right now. You make me laugh out loud describing Mr G.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My goodness, that house really is huge inside -- I sure wouldn't have guessed from the outside! I am drooling over the food in this post and the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you managed to get away and that you had a nice time! Hope that your husband managed to look after himself while you were way.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !